Saint Demetrios in Merrick, NY suffers major fire, smoke damage

Merrick, NY  A fire caused by a lit candle in the narthex caused extensive damage to St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church in Merrick, N.Y., late Friday, Aug. 9. There were no injuries.

The narthex and choir loft located above, were destroyed and the remainder of the building sustained heavy smoke and water damage after firefighters battled the blaze that began after 9 p.m.

A tent has been set up temporarily in the church parking lot for church services.

His Eminence Archbishop Demetrios of America visited the parish and toured the church Sunday afternoon and issued an appeal for a special tray to be passed in other Direct Archdiocesan District churches.

The parish has set up a website: SaintDemetriosRelief.com for anyone wanting to help the church in its recovery efforts.

Photo by Jim Golding.  Article from Stavros Papagermanos of the Press Office/GOA.